I felt something crawl up my leg’: This woman survived every Aussie’s worst nightmare

A NSW mum who was bitten in her bed by one of the world’s deadliest spiders has spoken for the first time about her incredible battle for survival.

Fiona Donagh, 51, from the Southern Highlands, was asleep in her bed on Boxing Day when around 3am she felt something crawling up her right leg.

The crawler was in fact a two-inch wide male funnel-web spider — six times more toxic than a female — and one of the world’s most deadly spiders with a bite that can kill in just 15 minutes.

Fiona explains her incredible story: “It was Boxing Day and my sister was staying. We probably went to bed about 10 or 11, I’d had a couple of glasses of bubbly that evening being Christmas time, so I went to bed and woke up some time and went to the loo.

“I came back to bed and was almost asleep again, it was very hot night and I was tossing and turning as you do, and I actually felt something going up my right leg, I felt something crawl up my right leg and it did not feel at all familiar to me.